|Technique Challenge - Hand Lettering with Templates|
Create Fantastic Titles with Templates and Your Own Handwriting
Using a template for hand lettering is an easy and quick way to make your letters look perfect and to add some personal style to your scrapbook page title.
- Trace a title word in a fairly bold style lettering template across a piece of cardstock using a pencil.
- Draw a light pencil line (using a ruler) straight thru the template traced letters about 2/3 of the way down the letters all the way across the title.
- On this line write in cursive with a pencil a complimentary title word (for my example I traced VACATION with my template and wrote "summer" in cursive thru it). As you write the cursive word, stretch out the space between each letter by pulling the connecting lines out longer. You do not need to change the size of each letter, just add more space between each one.
- Trace over your cursive word with a fine tip black writer pen.
- Trace over the template letters, leaving a small space whenever the template lines intersect with the cursive word. This allows the cursive word to appear that it stands alone in the center of the title.
- Erase all pencil lines.
- Chalk the template traced letters, again leaving space whenever you come to the cursive lines.
See my sample below.
Ok, now your turn. Create a title for one of your scrapbook pages using this technique and share the outcome with us on the Forum! Be creative and we can all learn from each other. If you have a scanner or digital camera post your results on the Forum by attaching the graphic file. If not, just post telling us what title you used, what color you chalked, and how it turned out, etc. Let us know what you think about the technique after you try it. Will you use it again?
Happy Scrappin' Challenge!