The book The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition is a 2005 children's picture book that was written and self-published by Carol Aebersold and her daughter Chanda Bell and illustrated by Coë Steinwart. Since its publication the book has won numerous toy and children's book awards and sparked the Elf on a Shelf Christmas tradition craze. The main idea is that the little elf keeps on eye on its family throughout the holiday season and reports in to Santa each night while the family is asleep letting him know if the children have been naughty or nice that day. If your family has started taking part in this clever holiday tradition you will definitely want to create a scrapbook page that recounts the adventures of your family's elf. The scrapbook page idea shown here was created by Laura Vegas for Bella Blvd and uses their Christmas Countdown patterned paper and embellishment line.
Patterned Paper: 1 sheet each: City Sidewalks (#677), Tree Park (#678), Christmas (#679), Believe (#680), Borders (#683) (Christmas Countdown collection). Quadrants (#190) (Family Dynamix collection). Stickers: 1 sheet each: Alpha+Bits (#685), Tabs (#687) (Christmas Countdown). Die-Cuts: 1 pkg: Paper Pieces (#688) (Christmas Countdown). Chipboard: 1 pkg each: Pickle Juice Sienna alpha (#571), Ice Sienna alpha (#604). Feathers: 1 pkg: Bell Pepper (#547). Crochet Hearts: 1 pkg each: McIntosh (#531), Gulf (#537), White (#540).
Step by Step Directions:
- Start with a full sheet of white 12 inch by 12 inch cardstock as the base of the scrapbook page layout.
- Trim the Quadrants (grid backside) patterned paper to 2.5 inches by 12 inches and adhere to the left side of the page.
- Trim a 3.5 inch by 9.5 inch piece of the Tree Park patterned paper and adhere it to the top of the page, along the right edge.
- Trim a 3.25 inch by 9.5 inch piece of Christmas patterned paper (red chevron backside) patterned paper and adhere it to the right side of the page, directly below the green tree patterned paper.
- From the Borders paper, make two cuts to remove the elf border strip. Trim this strip down to 9.5 inches wide and adhere it to the right side of the page directly below the red chevron paper.
- Trim a 3.25 inch by 9.5 inch piece of the City Sidewalks patterned paper (aqua dot backside) and adhere it to the right side of the page directly below the elf border strip.
- Trim a .5 inch by 9.5 inch strip from the Borders paper that is the polka dotted border strip and adhere it along the bottom of the aqua dot section.
- Trim a .5 inch by 12 inch strip from the Believe patterned paper and adhere it along the right edge of the grid patterned paper.
- Create the “Elf on a Shelf” title using a mix of Pickle Juice chipboard alphas, Sienna chipboard alphas, and alpha stickers from the Alpha+Bits sticker sheet. Adhere the titled to the grid patterned paper towards the top of the scrapbook page.
- Locate 2 Bell Pepper feathers. Adhere 1 feather to the right side of the red chevron paper, trimming the feather as needed and stapling it in place. Adhere the other feather to the bottom left corner of the page, again trimming as needed and stapling in place.
- Remove the white “Merry” star from the Paper Pieces die cut package. Adhere it with pop dots over the yellow feather located on the red chevron patterned paper.
- Print 7 to 9 photos that measure 2 inches by 3 inches. Adhere 2-3 photos each along the green tree patterned paper, the red chevron paper, and the aqua dot patterned paper.
- Add journaling and embellish the scrapbook page with additional stickers, die cuts, and crochet hearts as desired.
You can find more scrapbook page ideas from Bella Blvd in the article Bella Blvd. Scrapbook Page Ideas for Any Occasion.